Monday, August 24, 2009

Be it ever so humble

This is my final entry for the big trek blog.


I’ve just scrubbed the Costa Rican mud off my hiking boots - no point in accidently transplanting mutant rhubarb seeds or giant caterpillar eggs into Banff National Park to become the next ox-eyed daisy that takes over the place. The hiking poles and platypus for my big backpack have likewise been cleaned and are waiting to be put away. Did a quickie-trip up to Edmonton on the weekend to give my kids their small souvenirs. And it’s back to work, and reality, tomorrow for me.


I’m feeling guilty for not holding up my end of the deal with the length of the hikes. 40K is NOT 100K plus. Could I have pushed it and did the redesigned 60K? I’m not sure, with the poorly built/maintained trails, the rain, and the guide’s break-less and break-neck speed. There was no way to know about all of that ahead of time so I could train for it. I didn’t have a whole lot of input from the Alta JIM coordinator, and in fact was given wrong info about some of the trails from him. There’s a big difference between an 800 m elevation gain (yep, that’s hard) and a 1200 m elevation gain (you’re freakin’ kiddin’ me!). But I’m making excuses, and I hope donors forgive me for not hiking what I promised to hike. I really do feel bad about it.


However, I did accomplish a lot of what I set out to do in the first place. I challenged myself by becoming a fund-raiser, which I found very difficult. It’s not easy asking people for money, even if it’s for an excellent cause, and I have a new respect for those who do it all the time. Did I mention that the funds raised in Alberta stay in Alberta? Both Calgary’s U of C, and Edmonton’s U of A, research hospitals receive funds raised through Joints in Motion for various initiatives (for fund disbursement details, see: http://www.arthritis.ca/look%20at%20research/default.asp?s=1&province=ab). I honored those who suffer/have suffered with arthritis by doing this in the first place (hey Mom, I did it!). I trained, and lost a ton of weight - OK, not a ton, but almost 50 lbs! - and became much fitter than I have been for a very long time. And that goes a long way towards keeping my own RA manageable and having better health in general.


The highlights of this whole process have nothing do with Costa Rica at all. Mostly, I’m astounded by your (and other donors who aren’t reading this) generosity, making a donation just because I asked you to. Wow. It has restored my faith in humanity and I now know we all can’t possibly be going to hell-in-a-hand basket when we help out each other for the greater good like that. It’s a shame that government can’t make our tax dollars fund research and education like this fully, but it’s so very heart-warming to know that people can and will pick up the pace when governments fall short.


I’ve also found that it’s true - the journey, and not the destination, is the thing. My most favorite part of this whole ordeal has been finally hiking my own back yard! Making myself hike every weekend before hand even when I didn’t want to was hard, but seeing more of the mountains is why I moved here in the first place, and it took this to make me do it rather than saying 'some day'. Visiting other countries makes you realize that Canada is wonderful place to call home. We’re all very lucky to have places like Banff National Park and it’s well developed trail system, and I’m especially lucky to be able to live here. I’ve now got tons of gear to enjoy hiking more of the place (no excuses now!), and will find ways to get out in the great outdoors this winter. There really is no place like home.


In closing, I really want to thank all of you again for your generous contributions. You have helped many others with arthritis, but mostly you’ve helped me grow, in more ways than one. And I really, really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment