Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fighting with internet and rain

Just psent 15 minutes of my half hour of computer time in a hotel in Santa Elena, I think, trying to make the symbol characters on the keyboard work, grrrrr. Did some Facebook entries at the prior hotel this morning as it wouldnt load the blog site. Way cool place though - they are totally off the grid and create all their own electricity, water heating, grow their own food, and so on and are model of total sustainabilty that Canada can only dream of. Look up Rancho Margot. Id go back in a flash and recommend it highly. The all organic food is spectacular.



After touring the ranch, we hiked up to a view point where you could see the entire ranch at once, a lot of the 33 km long Arenal Lake, and the Arenal Volcano. No glowing lava like last night as you need to view at night. Ive given up trying to stay dry and have gone local by wearing sandals and synth fabrics and just waiting to dry off when the rain stops. Its what our guides seem to do. Have perfectly exfoliated feet though from all the mud squishing between my toes in my sandals. Much easier than putting all that gear on and off. Saw some leaf cutter ants, a howler monkey, and a lot more weird plants. Lost my prescript glasses in the mud and tall grass as I had to take them off because they kept steaming up, but my hero guide Carlos got a 20 buck tip for finding them a kilo or so back from where I hoticed them missing. Again, it was just a short hike as it was so wet. However, some folks are hiking even less than I, so I am OK with that.



Took a boat ride across the lake to meet our bus and travelled to the next hotel. Tomorrow is the canopy tour in Monteverde and Im still not sure I want to do that. The option is walking canopy bridges. Mercado por favour.....



Oops - computer time is running out and gotta go! Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment